I’ve been told to contact the organization with which I have a dispute before writing to the Mediator, is that the right procedure?

Yes, it is a general principle of mediation. To be able to intervene in the settlement of a persistent dispute, the applicant must have submitted their request to the appropriate service.

If the response from this service is not satisfactory or in the absence of a response, you can refer the case to the Mediator.